By Antony Augoustakis,Ariana Traill
• The first complete number of essays on Terence in English, via top students within the field
• Covers more than a few subject matters, together with either conventional and smooth matters of gender, race, and reception
• Features a wide-ranging yet interconnected sequence of essays that provide new views in examining Terence
• Includes an advent discussing the lifetime of Terence, its impression on next reports of the poet, and the query of his ethnicity
Read or Download A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Ovid is among the maximum poets within the Classical culture and Western literature. This ebook represents the main complete examine so far of his early output as a unified literary construction. first of all, the booklet proposes new methods of establishing this a part of Ovid's poetic occupation, the chronology of that is notoriously tricky to set up.
Offers a range of news from Ovid's Metamorphoses, the main recognized and influential number of Greek and Roman myths on this planet. It contains recognized tales like these of Daedalus and Icarus, Pygmalion, Narcissus and King Midas. The e-book is designed in case you have accomplished an introductory direction in Latin and goals to aid such clients to benefit from the story-telling, character-drawing and language of 1 of the world's most pleasurable and influential poets.
This formidable booklet investigates a tremendous but underexplored nexus of issues in Roman cultural background: the evolving tropes of enclosure, retreat and compressed house inside increasing, probably without borders empire. In Roman writers' exploration of genuine and symbolic enclosures - caves, corners, villas, bathhouses, the 'prison' of the human physique itself - we see the classy, philosophical and political intersecting in attention-grabbing methods, because the desktop of empire is recast in tighter and tighter shapes.
This research proposes a brand new view of glossing as a common phenomenon. ranging from the Psalter, a centrepiece of devotion and schooling in early medieval Europe, it combines historic sociolinguistics, comparative philology, manuscript stories and cultural historical past so as to check and examine the interface of Latin with outdated Irish, previous English, previous Frisian, previous Saxon and outdated excessive German in the context of its multilingual and textual tradition.
- Neidhart und die Neidhart-Lieder: Ein Handbuch (De Gruyter Reference) (German Edition)
- Money, Morality, and Culture in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe
- The Cambridge Companion to Bede (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Power and Sainthood: The Case of Birgitta of Sweden (The New Middle Ages)
- Gonzalo de Berceo and the Latin Miracles of the Virgin: A Translation and a Study
- Writing History for the King: Henry II and the Politics of Vernacular Historiography
Extra info for A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Terence (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Antony Augoustakis,Ariana Traill