By Corinne Saunders
- Opens with a common introductory part discussing London existence and politics, books and authority, manuscripts and readers.
- Subsequent sections specialize in Chaucer’s significant works – the dream visions, Troilus and Criseyde and The Canterbury Tales.
- Essays spotlight the major non secular, political and highbrow contexts for every significant work.
- Also covers very important common themes, together with: medieval literary genres; dream concept; the Church; gender and sexuality; and interpreting Chaucer aloud.
- Designed in order that every one contextual essay could be learn along one in all Chaucer’s significant works.
Read or Download A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Ovid is among the maximum poets within the Classical culture and Western literature. This e-book represents the main accomplished research thus far of his early output as a unified literary construction. first of all, the e-book proposes new methods of establishing this a part of Ovid's poetic occupation, the chronology of that's notoriously tricky to set up.
Provides a variety of news from Ovid's Metamorphoses, the main well-known and influential number of Greek and Roman myths on the planet. It contains famous tales like these of Daedalus and Icarus, Pygmalion, Narcissus and King Midas. The publication is designed in the event you have accomplished an introductory path in Latin and goals to assist such clients to benefit from the story-telling, character-drawing and language of 1 of the world's most enjoyable and influential poets.
This formidable booklet investigates a huge but underexplored nexus of issues in Roman cultural background: the evolving tropes of enclosure, retreat and compressed house inside of increasing, in all likelihood without borders empire. In Roman writers' exploration of actual and symbolic enclosures - caves, corners, villas, bathhouses, the 'prison' of the human physique itself - we see the classy, philosophical and political intersecting in attention-grabbing methods, because the computing device of empire is recast in tighter and tighter shapes.
This learn proposes a brand new view of glossing as a common phenomenon. ranging from the Psalter, a centrepiece of devotion and schooling in early medieval Europe, it combines old sociolinguistics, comparative philology, manuscript stories and cultural background on the way to investigate and examine the interface of Latin with previous Irish, previous English, previous Frisian, outdated Saxon and previous excessive German in the context of its multilingual and textual tradition.
- Ovid, Metamorphoses X (Latin Texts)
- Laughing Awry: Plautus and Tragicomedy
- Dante's Divine Comedy (The Landmark Library)
- Feminist Theory and the Classics (Thinking Gender)
Additional info for A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Corinne Saunders