By Steven Beller
Read or Download A Concise History of Austria (Cambridge Concise Histories) PDF
Similar european history books
For a small, filthy rich state in the midst of Europe, sleek Austria has a really huge and complicated background, extending some distance past its present borders. modern-day Austrians have a complicated courting with that background, no matter if with the multi-national historical past of the Habsburg Monarchy, or with the time among 1938 and 1945 whilst Austrians have been Germans in Hitler's 3rd Reich.
This 2007 booklet analyzes how West German intellectuals debated the Nazi earlier and democratic way forward for their state. instead of continuing occasion via occasion, it highlights the underlying concerns at stake: the query of a stigmatized kingdom and the polarized reactions to it that dependent German dialogue and reminiscence of the Nazi prior.
Leaving the North is the 1st e-book that offers a finished survey of Northern eire migration considering the fact that 1921. dependent principally at the own thoughts of emigrants who left Northern eire from the Twenties to the 2000s, nearly 1/2 whom finally lower back, the publication strains their multigenerational stories of leaving Northern eire and adapting to lifestyles overseas, with a few later returning to a society nonetheless mired in clash.
Reginald Pole (1500-1558), cardinal and archbishop of Canterbury, was once on the centre of reform controversies within the mid sixteenth century - antagonist of Henry VIII, a pacesetter of the reform crew within the Roman Church, and approximately elected pope (Julius III used to be elected in his stead). His voluminous correspondence - greater than 2500 goods, together with letters to him - types a big resource for historians not just of britain, yet of Catholic Europe and the early Reformation as a complete.
- Victorians and the Virgin Mary: Religion and Gender in England 1830 - 1885 (Gender in History)
- Spessart Roots: A History of the People of a German Forest
- Saving Germany: North American Protestants and Christian Mission to West Germany, 1945 -1974
- Denmark and Europe in the Middle Ages, c.1000–1525: Essays in Honour of Professor Michael H. Gelting
- The Nazi Dictatorship (RLE Responding to Fascism) (Routledge Library Editions: Responding to Fascism)
- Out of Sorts: On Typography and Print Culture (Material Texts)
Additional resources for A Concise History of Austria (Cambridge Concise Histories)
A Concise History of Austria (Cambridge Concise Histories) by Steven Beller