By Bruce Mitchell,Fred C. Robinson
- Provides a entire creation to previous English
- Uses a pragmatic method fitted to the wishes of the start student
- Features choices from the best works of previous English literature, geared up from basic to tougher texts to maintain speed with the reader
- Includes a dialogue of Anglo-Saxon literature, background, and tradition, and a bibliography directing readers to precious guides at the subject
- Updated all through with new fabric together with the 1st 25 strains from Beowulf with particular annotation and an evidence of Grimm’s and Verner’s laws
Read Online or Download A Guide to Old English PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Ovid is without doubt one of the maximum poets within the Classical culture and Western literature. This e-book represents the main complete learn to this point of his early output as a unified literary creation. first of all, the booklet proposes new methods of establishing this a part of Ovid's poetic occupation, the chronology of that is notoriously tricky to set up.
Provides a range of news from Ovid's Metamorphoses, the main recognized and influential selection of Greek and Roman myths on the planet. It contains famous tales like these of Daedalus and Icarus, Pygmalion, Narcissus and King Midas. The booklet is designed in the event you have accomplished an introductory path in Latin and goals to assist such clients to benefit from the story-telling, character-drawing and language of 1 of the world's most pleasurable and influential poets.
This bold e-book investigates an incredible but underexplored nexus of issues in Roman cultural background: the evolving tropes of enclosure, retreat and compressed house inside of increasing, possibly without boundary lines empire. In Roman writers' exploration of genuine and symbolic enclosures - caves, corners, villas, bathhouses, the 'prison' of the human physique itself - we see the cultured, philosophical and political intersecting in interesting methods, because the desktop of empire is recast in tighter and tighter shapes.
This examine proposes a brand new view of glossing as a common phenomenon. ranging from the Psalter, a centrepiece of devotion and schooling in early medieval Europe, it combines ancient sociolinguistics, comparative philology, manuscript stories and cultural heritage in an effort to determine and evaluate the interface of Latin with previous Irish, previous English, previous Frisian, outdated Saxon and outdated excessive German in the context of its multilingual and textual tradition.
- Greek Tragedies 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
- Horace (Routledge Revivals)
- Oxford Readings in Ovid (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies)
- Dante Encyclopedia (Garland Reference Library of the Humanities)
- Heroines of the French Epic: A second selection of chansons de geste
Additional resources for A Guide to Old English
A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell,Fred C. Robinson