By Katharine Scarfe Beckett
Read Online or Download Anglo-Saxon Perceptions of the Islamic World (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Ovid is likely one of the maximum poets within the Classical culture and Western literature. This booklet represents the main finished research so far of his early output as a unified literary creation. first of all, the ebook proposes new methods of establishing this a part of Ovid's poetic occupation, the chronology of that's notoriously tricky to set up.
Provides a variety of reports from Ovid's Metamorphoses, the main recognized and influential choice of Greek and Roman myths on this planet. It comprises famous tales like these of Daedalus and Icarus, Pygmalion, Narcissus and King Midas. The e-book is designed if you have accomplished an introductory path in Latin and goals to assist such clients to benefit from the story-telling, character-drawing and language of 1 of the world's most enjoyable and influential poets.
This bold publication investigates an incredible but underexplored nexus of subject matters in Roman cultural heritage: the evolving tropes of enclosure, retreat and compressed area inside of increasing, most likely without borders empire. In Roman writers' exploration of actual and symbolic enclosures - caves, corners, villas, bathhouses, the 'prison' of the human physique itself - we see the classy, philosophical and political intersecting in attention-grabbing methods, because the computer of empire is recast in tighter and tighter shapes.
This research proposes a brand new view of glossing as a common phenomenon. ranging from the Psalter, a centrepiece of devotion and schooling in early medieval Europe, it combines ancient sociolinguistics, comparative philology, manuscript experiences and cultural background in an effort to determine and examine the interface of Latin with outdated Irish, outdated English, outdated Frisian, outdated Saxon and outdated excessive German in the context of its multilingual and textual tradition.
- Juvenal and the Satiric Genre (Classical Literature and Society)
- Race and Ethnicity in Anglo-Saxon Literature (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- Die 'historische' Dietrichepik: Untersuchungen zu 'Dietrichs Flucht', 'Rabenschlacht', 'Alpharts Tod' (Texte Und Studien Zur Mittelhochdeutschen Heldenepik) (German Edition)
- The Epistemology of the Monstrous in the Middle Ages (Studies in Medieval History and Culture)
- Beyond the Fifth Century: Interactions with Greek Tragedy from the Fourth Century BCE to the Middle Ages
- Women Writing Latin: Medieval Modern Women Writing Latin: 002 (Women Writers of the World)
Extra info for Anglo-Saxon Perceptions of the Islamic World (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England)
Anglo-Saxon Perceptions of the Islamic World (Cambridge Studies in Anglo-Saxon England) by Katharine Scarfe Beckett